Monday, December 30, 2013

Noble Rot

1111 East Burnside Street
Happy Hour: 5 - 6, Monday through Friday
noblerotpdx.com

I met my husband on the dance floor at the Goodfoot. Our first date was at Pok Pok. That same week we went to Davis Street Tavern. All of these are fantastic date night locations. So is Noble Rot. It's perfect for a first date, a third date, number seventeen, and two-hundred and ten.


It's not just the food that makes this place so suitable for a night out, it's the ambiance. My husband and I were happy to be seated at the small table in the corner. We had the BEST view. It had been clear out all day--and still just light enough when they opened at five to see the last bit of light over the West Hills--but we were able to watch as the fog rolled in over the city. It was quite remarkable.


The happy hour menu includes plenty of options at a discount. At first glance, the price for a hamburger might seem a bit high BUT it includes fries or a salad, which is not as typical during happy hour. And when you compare these prices to those of their regular dinner menu, it's reasonable--in the most proportional way possible.


Having a choice of fries or a salad didn't work for the two of us. We both wanted salads...and fries. Thankfully, the menu included all sorts of small plates at small prices. A plate of fries was only three dollars (onion rings, too). There were plenty to the plate and they were my favorite petite-cut fries with just the right amount of salt. I would have preferred a fancy dipping sauce to the ketchup supplied, however. That was my only disappointment.



The fries arrived first (at our request) but the rest of the meal came soon after. My husband ordered the hamburger (with cheese for an additional $1) and I had the vegetable Panino. I can only assume that the filling changes with the season. On the menu that night was a butternut squash and caramelized onion sandwich. Along with the vegetables was just enough goat cheese to finish the flavor. Both the burger and the sandwich were served with a side salad made of butter lettuce, thinly sliced red onion, and sunflower seeds.



The drink menu includes discounted beer and wine (just $3.50 each) but also a list of four fancy cocktails. (My co-bloggers and I are always most impressed when the happy hour discounts include something more than just wine, beer, and well drinks.) These fancy cocktails are priced at $5.50 each and include the same house-made ingredients as their regular drink menu. I started with the Pomegranate Lemon Drop but after taking a sip of my husband's Moscow Mule, decided that if I were to order anything more it would be that.

I also decided (based on what foods I saw delivered to the table closest to us) that the next time we are in, I will definitely order the mac and cheese--which appears to have the perfect ratio of breadcrumb topping--and a plate of onion rings. Hopefully they won't change the menu before then.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Exceeds (it's a great view)
Value: Meets

-b

Noble Rot on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Love the Goodfoot! Cute story.
    Agreed, the view is the best part of the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete